A Course on Particle Physics
The course covers important concepts in elementary particle physics. Topics include:
- Symmetries and conservation laws
- Classical scattering
- Non-relativistic quantum scattering
- Relativistic dynamics
- Conceptual foundations of relativistic quantum mechanics
- Isospin symmetry
- The eight fold way
- Gauge theories
The course outline can be found here.
You can find the lectures notes following this link.
Location: BSB/B140 (basement of BSB)
Time: Mon, Wed, and Thu – 10:30AM
Assignments – 20%
Tests (2) – 40%
Final Exam – 40%
Office Hours (ABB-321)
If you have any questions about the course, please send me emails to my McMaster address. Things are generally busy, so I won’t be able to respond immediately to all inquiries, but I will respond by my e-mail hours listed below.
Monday 10:00 PM
Thursday 10:00 PM
A good textbook to accompany the course is Introduction to Elementary Particles, by David Griffiths. Here are some other textbooks you might want to consult:
- Subatomic Physics, by Ernest M Henley and Alejandro Garcia.
- Particles and Nuclei, by Bogdan Povh and Klaus Rith.
- Nuclear and Particle Physics: An Introduction, by Brian Martin.