The write-up should be at least two pages, and about a problem whose solution was particularly significant and lead to great progress. A list of suggested topics follows below, but feel free to come up with your own topic to write about. Please inform me of your choice by February 2nd, 2015. The deadline for submitting the write-up is April 8th, 2015.
Here are some suggested topics for the write-up. The write-up should include a clear intro- duction to the problem, some discussion of the solution highlighting particularly important tricks or techniques employed, and the impact the solution had (without hype). Please don’t just read wikipedia, if you are having hard time finding resources, come and talk to me about it.
- Galton’s problem
- Google’s ranking algorithm (pagerank)
- The solution to quadratic equations
- Brownian motion
- The production of bronze
- The marine chromometer
- Deciphering the German Enigma machine
- The anomalous precession of Mercury’s perihelion
- What is the solution to x^2 + 1 = 0
- Blackbody radiation and ultraviolet catastrophe
- Zeno’s paradox and the mathematics of limits
- The anomalous magnetic dipole of the electron