Frequently Asked Questions
(If your query is not listed below please feel free to contact us by mail or, in person.)
- When and where does the Journal Club meet?
Thursdays from 11:30 to 12:30 at ABB 431.
- Who can become a member?
The journal club is meant for all members of the condensed matter physics community in the
department. If you are part of this community then you are automatically considered
to be a member.
- How do I sign-up for a talk?
One may sign up on the homepage (refer to the panel on the left). Alternatively,
one may sign up by mailing the organizers. However, the first option is recommended.
- How do I choose a paper to present?
Any recent high-profile paper in the field of condensed matter physics is appropriate
for presentation at these meetings. We encourage students to discuss work somewhat outside
of their area of expertise in order to gain a broader knowledge of the literature. A list
of article suggestions is provided in the panel to the left, however we welcome presentations
of articles not on this list.
- Can I present my own work?
Although this is in principle possible, we usually reserve this option only for the faculty
members and other senior researchers. If you are a graduate student and you want to do so
then we ask that you first consult with the organizers before signing up for a talk.
- What is the expected duration of a talk?
We encourage speakers to prepare talks that are roughly 30 minutes long. This allows plenty
of time after the talk for discussion.
- What are the duties of the speaker?
The following constitutes the expected duties of the speaker:
- Sign up.
- Send the organisers the abstract and the title of the talk at least 7 days in advance.
- If you need a laptop or, any other equipment please inform the organizers suitably well
- How many talks can a graduate student present?
We recommend that each graduate student gives at least one per talk per year. If there are still
open time slots when everybody has had a chance to give a presentation then presenting multiple
times during the year is certainly encouraged.
- How do I cancel my talk?
If for some reason you are unable to fulfill your commitment, we request you to inform the
organizers by email as soon as possible so that a replacement may be arranged.
- How do I contact the organisers?
Please refer to the panel on the left.