McMaster Physics & Astronomy Wiki
Welcome to the Department of Physics & Astronomy wiki, maintained by graduate students for graduate students. Slowly, we hope to collect all the information useful to graduate students in our department. See anything wrong or missing? Let us know, and contribute.
A disclaimer: The official source of information is always the Graduate Calendar and the policies of the University and the Department. If there is a difference between that information and something presented here, the official university documents should be taken as correct. If you're not sure or want clarification, talk to the Associate Chair.
- New Students - Course registration, living in Hamilton, etc.
- Offices and Physical Environment - Issues with your office, office equipment, bathrooms, or similar
- Financial and Scholarships - Important info about student tuition, scholarships, reimbursements, or related.
- Food & Drink Where to get these things on and off campus.
- Courses - Current course offerings, requested courses
- TAing - Rights and responsibilities, TA preferences, health and dental plans, etc.
- Committee Meetings - How often do I need them? What is required? What forms are needed before/after?
- Comprehensive Exams - Requirements, what to expect, old questions
- Computing - Getting set up, high performance computing, e-mail, etc.
- Graduate Committees - Current list of committees, their purpose, and their members
- Academic Interactions - Visiting speakers, suggestions for new speakers
- Equity and Inclusion - Resources for discrimination & harassment issues
- Graduating - A how to guide
- Transition out of Academia - Resources for students leaving academia
- Transitioning NOT out of Academia - Resources for students applying for postdocs, etc.
Consult the User's Guide for information on using the wiki software.