Before You Arrive
1. Submit TA preferences form at the beginning of June. See TAing#TA_Assignments for more information.
2. Email your supervisor about which courses they think you should be taking. Also discuss your arrival date in September (plan to be on campus from the Tuesday after Labour Day).
3. You should arrange housing around 2 months before you arrive. It becomes more difficult to find quality housing as September approaches. See Housing and Transportation for more information.
5. Register for Courses
- All graduate students must finish SGS 101 (Academic Research Integrity and Ethics) and SGS 201 (Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act Training) within their first month at McMaster.
- If you are not planning on taking any courses in a semester, you need to register for SGS 700.
First Week in September
- Grad Orientation Meeting
- Mandatory meeting for all Physics and Astronomy Graduate students (2017: Tuesday September 5 from 9:30-11:30 am in ABB-165).
- Departmental Welcome BBQ
- Food (burgers/veggie burgers, salads) included at the Phoenix. Cash bar. (2017: Wednesday September 6).
- School Of Graduate Studies
-  (various dates/events, 2017: September 5-14)
- Institute for Innovation and Excellence in Teaching and Learning
-  Workshops and information sessions on teaching and learning for TAs (2017: September 6). Presentation from orientation session here: File:Graduate Student Liaison PowerPoint.pptx
- Administrative Tasks (Physics and Astronomy Office ABB 241)
- Visit Tina in main office to receive keys for your office. Bring a $15 deposit per key. Also talk to Tina about setting up Mosaic so that you can easily submit travel expenses.
- Safety Training
- All new grad students are required to complete a number of safety & AODA training courses. You register on Mosaic, complete the courses on Avenue, and then send your completion certificates to Tina. She's prepared a helpful PowerPoint presentation to show you what you need to do. File:Required Safety Training.pptx
- See Your_Computer for connecting your laptop.
- Administrative Tasks (Gilmour Hall, GH)
- pick up student card (from Rosemary or Office of the Registrar, GH 108)
- pick up bus pass (Campus Store)
- OSAP financial stuff (Office of Student Financial Aid..., GH 120)
- direct deposit form (bring bank information or a cheque)
- Physics and Astronomy Symposium Day
- Students entering their second year of graduate studies in Physics and Astronomy give a 15 minute talk about their research. Attendance of all students is mandatory. Rosemary will be in touch about asking for abstracts etc. closer to the date (2017: October 10 in ABB 136)
Other Things to Consider
Talk to your supervisor about research/coursework/TA balance
There are plenty of ways to stay active and meet new people on campus through intramural sports for example.