Catherine Kallin Professor, Physics & Astronomy
- Office: ABB-323, Department of Physics & Astronomy,
McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario L8S 4M1
- Phone: (905) 525-9140, ext. 23176
- FAX: (905) 521-2773
- email: kallin[at]mcmaster.ca
- 1979 B.Sc. Mathematics and Physics, U.B.C.
- 1984 Ph.D. Physics, Harvard University
- 1984 Postdoc, Institute for Theoretical Physics, UCSB
- 1986 Assistant Professor, McMaster University
- 1996 Professor, McMaster University
My research is in the area of strongly correlated electron systems,
including high temperature superconductors, frustrated antiferromagnets,
and quantum Hall systems.
Theory of Quantum Materials
Teaching Schedule for 2011/12
- Physics 739: Graduate Quantum Mechanics I [Fall: Tues&Thurs 10:30-12:00]
- Physics 740: Graduate Quantum Mechanics II [Spring: Mon&Wed 10:30-12:00]
Professional Affiliations and Activities
September/October 2000 issue of Physics in Canada on
High Temperature Superconductivity
April/June 2011 issue of Physics in Canada on
KITP Program on SrRuO and Chiral p-wave Superconductivity held
December 2007. All
the talks during this program are available (with audio) online.
Fellow of the Canadian Institute for Advanced Research
program in Quantum Materials, directed by
Louis Taillefer, brings together many researchers working toward an
understanding of high temperature superconductivity and other problems in correlated electrons.
Aspen Center for Physics
American Physical Society
Kavli Institute for
Gordon Research Conferences
Board member for the Boulder
School for Condensed Matter and Materials Physics. If you are a senior
graduate student or postdoctoral fellow in condensed matter physics, you
should check out this school.
International Solvay Institute
"Quantum Theory of Condensed Matter" Conference, October 2008.
Affiliate of Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics.
Women at the Frontier of
Excellence -- a symposium at UBC to honour Dr. Michael Smith.
meeting on equity issues.
The Poster Project by Pamela Davis Kivelson.